Thursday, January 5, 2012

Green Smoothies and Low Oxalate

Something I have always enjoyed are smoothies.  Blending up a bunch of fruit, ice, OJ, etc. has always been a favorite of mine. It has been a while since I've made one... but with my new "healthy living" approach I am considering getting into them more regularly.

I stumbled across this blog:

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/beyond-spinach-tasty-greens-for-your-green-smoothie/

There seems to be a lot of good options. I had heard the term "green smoothie" before but never really knew what it means.  Well, it's pretty simple.  A green smoothie is kind of what it sounds like... adding a vegetable, usually one that is green.

Of course, this is a little more complicated for me since I'm trying to keep my oxalate intake to a minimum.  Some of the popular ingredients for green smoothies include very high oxalate foods, such as spinach and swiss chard.  Fortunately there are also some good "green" alternatives. Among them are Parsley and Kale. Generally, most lettuces are also good. 

Something else I am considering (at the recommendation of my sister, who is a "health nut") is getting a good quality mixer that can blend just about anything. I'm looking at the Vitamix blenders and basically waiting for them to go on sale. These blenders are 2 horse power and can actually "heat" what you are blending simultaneously. Visit http://www.vitamix.com for more info. I am also planning to make things like hummus, soup, etc. so this would definitely come in handy.  The down side is that they are pretty expensive ($400+). I am going to try and get by with my existing food processor / blender before I make the commitment, which will also help with the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

I'll provide some updates, possibly even with pictures, once I get a chance to make a green smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment